Nik’s Caesar Salad
- 2 large heads romaine lettuce
- 1 ciabatta bun, cubed
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 4 small cloves of garlic, smashed
- 1 pound smoked slab bacon, thick-cut
- 6 oil-packed anchovy fillets, patted dry
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- juice from ½ lemon, seeds removed
- 1 tablespoon capers
- ¼ cup canola or vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, fresh-grated, divided in two
- dash Worcestershire sauce
- dash Tabasco or other hot sauce
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- wedge of lemon for garnish
Takes , serves .
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Remove discoloured or wilted romaine lettuce leaves and discard. Chop usable leaves into ½ inch, bite-sized pieces. Rinse. Spin. Dry.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan and add smashed cloves of garlic. Allow garlic to flavour butter for about 5 minutes.
- Slice and then cube the ciabatta bun into small bite-size squares. Transfer to medium bowl and season with salt and pepper. Remove garlic from saucepan and slowly pour melted butter over cubed bread. Toss gently.
- Transfer cubed bread onto parchment-lined baking sheet and toast in oven for 12 to 15 minutes, watching closely.
- Slice slab bacon into ¼-inch strips and lay onto a baking sheet fitted with a roasting rack, allowing ample room between each strip. Sprinkle with fresh-ground black pepper. Transfer to oven and bake until bacon is crispy. Remove from oven and place onto paper towels to absorb fat. Chop crispy bacon into bite-sized pieces.
- MAKE DRESSING: Place garlic, anchovies, egg, capers, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, Tabasco and Worcestershire sauces into food processor with blade attachment - pulse to chop. Combine oils and with processor on medium, slowly drizzle in oils.
- Turn off processor and add ½ cup of fresh-grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and pulse six to eight times. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer lettuce into a large attractive service bowl. Add half the dressing and toss. Taste and add more dressing as desired. Add bacon, croutons and the rest of the cheese. Toss and serve immediately. Garnish with lemon.