Packed with protein and bursting with essential vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, every day should start with this QUINOA MIXED BERRY BREAKFAST BOWL.
Breakfast really is the most important meal of the day, and experts suggest that eating a healthy breakfast may help reduce obesity, high blood pressure, heart disease and diabetes.
With that in mind, how about a complete breakfast that’s super-easy to prepare and really good for you too? We especially love this all-in-one-bowl concept and promise to post more breakfast bowl recipes in the near future. Stay tuned.
Here are some key comments about this one:
1) QUINOA – From the growing list of things we love about it: it’s a great source of iron, magnesium, vitamins B and E, potassium and fibre. This power-packed grain also contains lysine, which is essential for tissue growth and repair.
2) STEAMED QUINOA – I use my handy vegetable and grain steamer to cook quinoa, and it always comes out light and fluffy. I use a 1:1 ratio of grain to water and suggest steaming the quinoa on high for 10 minutes, then let it rest in the steamer for an additional 10 minutes before use. For this application, I always prepare the quinoa the night before.
3) MIXED BERRIES – Even if local berries aren’t in season, you can still enjoy the health benefits these four berries supply, as long as you purchase organically grown. Blueberries are rich with vitamin C, strawberries are an excellent source of fibre, raspberries contain cancer-fighting selenium while blackberries have vitamins C and K and more antioxidants than the other combined. Berries are good for us!
4) HEMP SEEDS – These little wonders are considered the most nutritious seed in the world and contain the most concentrated balance of proteins, essential fats (omega 3 and 6), vitamins (E, D, B1, B2, B6) plus enzymes. Adding a sprinkle into this breakfast bowl tastes good too.
5) MAPLE SYRUP – I like drizzling a bit of maple-flavoured sweetness into this mix because I think it enhances the flavour. Feel free to use honey or agave nectar as syrup substitutes, or enjoy without the added sugar – you choose.
6) COCONUT MILK – I’m loving all things coconut these days and used a light coconut milk for this recipe. Coconut milk has a ton of vitamins and minerals, but I like what it’s doing to our bodies – lowering cholesterol, building muscle, reducing fat and providing electrolytes. Suggestion – if you have leftover milk, pour it into an airtight container and store it for up to a week. Bring it!
The best thing about this nutritious, healthy, satiating bowl of goodness is the ease of the experience. I suggest steaming your quinoa and preparing your mixed berries the night before. Then in the morning, toss the ingredients together in a bowl, stir them up and in two minutes flat – YES, TWO MINUTES FLAT – you have the perfect start to your day.
Oh, by the way, it also travels well, so take leftovers to work for an afternoon snack.
This QUINOA BERRY BREAKFAST BOWL takes breakfast to a whole new level. Make it, eat it and find out what all the fuss is about.
Cook quinoa and allow to cool. Prepare mixed berries.
Pour all the ingredients into a medium-sized bowl, ending with the coconut milk. Stir gently. Serve in cereal bowls.
Listening to great music is an important part of every Weekend at the Cottage! Here’s a classic album that always makes me feel good. I figure it’ll go perfectly with this healthy breakfast post – Astrud Gilberto’s Finest Hour – yes, this is the album with that seminal recording of Girl From Ipanema. Head to iTunes to download this album to your collection.
Enter your e-mail below and you’ll receive access to our monthly newsletters, member contests, exclusive-to-email photos and behind-the-scenes fun! Best of all, it’s FREE! We’d be so happy if you’d join our growing online community!