- 3 pounds fresh peaches, about 12
- ¾ cup brown sugar, loosely packed
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- pie dough, enough for two crusts, top and bottom
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 egg, lightly beaten with 1 tablespoon of water
- a sprinkling of granulated sugar
Takes , serves 1 pie.
- Prepare pie dough recipe, divide into two discs and refrigerate dough for at least one hour before use.
- Cut peaches in half, discard pits and slice thinly. Place into a medium-sized bowl.
- Sprinkle grated ginger on top of peaches and toss. Mix sugar with cornstarch and then sprinkle on top of peaches. Add lemon juice and toss again.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out one disc of pie dough to a 14-inch diameter. Transfer to 9-inch round pie plate and trim excess dough away from rim.
- With a slotted spoon, evenly spoon peaches into the dough-lined dish. Reserve liquid that remains in bowl. Cut butter into small pieces and nestle them in the peaches.
- If peaches were wet, take 4 tablespoons of prepared peach liquid and drizzle over the peaches and butter.
- Roll out second disc of pie dough to 14-inch round. Use a ravioli cutter to draw evenly-spaced strips through the dough, about ½ inch wide.
- Lay a strip across the centre of the pie. Lay a second strip on top of the first at a 90° angle. Take a third strip and lay it the same direction as the first, weaving it under second strip and over the first. Continue weaving remaining strips to complete lattice effect.
- Trim off excess dough and crimp lattice to the dough lining the pie plate.
- Beat egg with water. Take pastry brush and carefully brush egg wash on the lattice detail.
- Sprinkle a tiny bit of granulated sugar on the lattice work.
- Transfer pie onto a baking sheet and bake until crust is golden and the filling is bubbling, about 1 hour 20 minutes.
- Cool pie to room temperature before serving. Serve with vanilla frozen yoghurt or ice cream.