- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 head of garlic, cut in half crosswise
- 2 lbs (1 kg) of chicken thighs, on the bone, skin removed
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 small Spanish onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 1 cup (100 grams) of serrano ham, thinly sliced and torn into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon of sweet smoked Spanish paprika
- ½ cup of white wine
- 2 roasted red peppers, skinned and chopped (1 cup chopped)
- 2 lbs of tomatoes, seeded and chopped or 2 cups of canned tomatoes, drained and chopped
Takes , serves 4.
- Heat oil in a casserole or deep skillet over low heat. Add the garlic cut-side down and cook slowly, covered for 10 minutes or until slightly softened. Reserve.
- Increase heat to high. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Working in batches, add chicken pieces and fry until golden, about 2 minutes a side. Reserve. Discard all but 3 tbsp of fat from the pan. Reduce heat to medium.
- Add onion and sauté until softened, about 2 minutes. Add ham and paprika and cook one more minute. Pour in wine and bring to a boil, reducing by half. Add peppers and tomatoes and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and add chicken.
- Cover and cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Remove cooked garlic cloves from skin and rough chop. Remove cover, add chopped garlic and cook for another 10 minutes or until the sauce has slightly thickened and chicken is very tender. Season to taste.