This POACHED PEAR SALAD has it all – spiced pears, assorted greens, asiago cheese, toasted nuts and a Pommery mustard vinaigrette. It’ll be perfect for your next holiday meal.
I made this recipe for all my friends at Christmas in November, and judging by the comments, it’s a winner. I especially like how easy it is to assemble and also think the flavours of the spices used with the pears make this salad perfect for the holidays, or any day.
Here are a few things I learned along the way:
1) Use firm pears for this recipe. I find that Bartlett and Bosc pears work best because they remain slightly crunchy even after they’ve been poached.
2) Feel free to play around with your spices, but do try to include the star anise and cardamom. The flavours of these two spices compliment the greens really nicely.
3) I’m calling for spinach, frisée, red leaf lettuce and arugula and know you’ll appreciate this delicious combination of greens. Don’t forget to wash and spin them before use.
4) Add the vinaigrette sparingly. It’s important not to over dress your salad or you’ll end up with something soggy and heavy.
5) Sprinkle the walnuts, Asiago and mint right at the end, and then toss the salad lightly one more time before you serve.
6) Last thing – a generous sprinkling of fresh cracked black pepper and a pinch of kosher salt ramp up the flavours right before you savour them.
I hope you enjoy preparing and then feasting on this lovely salad as much as I do. It really is a delicious and healthy treat!
Firm poached pears tossed with greens, Asiago, walnuts, mint and a tangy Pommery mustard vinaigrette. This POACHED PEAR SALAD is perfection. Give it a try!
Enter your e-mail below and you’ll receive access to our monthly newsletters, member contests, exclusive-to-email photos and behind-the-scenes fun! Best of all, it’s FREE! We’d be so happy if you’d join our growing online community!