Star-Studded Red White And Blue Trifle
- 1 large pound cake
- ½ cup of brandy
- 2 pints of raspberries, washed
- 2 tablespoons of cherry jam
- 1 ounce of orange juice
- 6 large strawberries, washed and sliced
- 2 pints of blueberries, washed
- For the custard:
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup of whole milk
- 1 cup of 35% cream
- seeds from one vanilla pod
- For the whipped cream topping:
- 2 cups of 35% cream
- 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- For the garnish:
- 1 bar of white chocolate (125 g), shaved
- 1 star fruit, thinly sliced
Takes , serves 12.
- Prepare the raspberry sauce: Place the raspberries, cherry jam and orange juice into a small bowl and mash to your desired consistency. Set aside.
- Prepare the custard: Whisk egg yolks, cornstarch and sugar together in a small bowl and set aside. Pour milk, cream and vanilla seeds into a medium-sized saucepan and warm over medium-high heat until hot. Slowly drizzle about 1 cup of the hot milk mixture into the egg mixture, whisking constantly. Transfer the mixture back into the pot, reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring gently until it thickens and coats the back of a spoon (about 20 minutes). Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until use.
- Prepare the whipped cream: Using a hand mixer, beat the cream on high until it begins to hold shape. Add sugar and vanilla and continue beating until light and fluffy. Set aside.
- Prepare the pound cake: Slice homemade or store-bought pound cake into ½ inch slices. Cut the slices in half and lay them out onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush with brandy and set aside.
- Assemble the trifle: Use a small amount of the raspberry sauce to lightly cover the bottom of a glass bowl or trifle dish. Add a circle of sliced strawberries, facing outward to create a ring around the bottom of the bowl. Form a layer using the pound cake slices, then spoon all but ¼ cup of the raspberry sauce over top, smoothing it evenly. Add a layer of whipped cream, smoothing it out as well, followed by an additional layer of cake. Pour the custard overtop the cake layer, smoothing it out, then add any remaining cake on top. Pour the remaining raspberry sauce into the centre and cover with a dollop of whipped cream. Add the blueberries in a ring, pressed against the bowl, creating a solid blue line against the glass. Add the remaining whipped cream, smoothing it out towards the blueberries. Stick the shards of white chocolate into the top of the trifle and sprinkle any remaining small bits of chocolate over as well. Stand the sliced star fruit upright into the whipped cream. Cover and refrigerate until served, ideally within a few hours.