- 1½ cups of sweet onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 pounds of lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon of chili powder
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 can of tomato paste
- a few drops of Tabasco sauce
- 2½ cups of puréed tomato
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 12 slices of aged cheddar cheese, two for each sandwich
- 6 kaiser rolls (or 12 mini slider rolls)
Takes , serves 6.
- Preheat a large skillet on medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and heat until it shimmers. Toss in the chopped onion and sautée until translucent. Add the garlic and sautée for an additional minute. Add the ground beef and stir constantly, breaking into tiny morsels as it cooks. Once browned, drain off the excess fat and return to skillet.
- Add chili powder, chipotle pepper, tomato paste, Tabasco sauce and puréed tomato and stir until mixture bubbles. Add bay leaves, reduce heat to low and cook uncovered for one hour.
- Turn oven to broil setting. Cut Kaiser rolls in half and place onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Toast until lightly browned. Remove baking sheet from oven and place the tops of the sandwich rolls aside. Remove bay leaves from sauce and discard. Spoon a generous portion of the SLOPPY JOE mixture onto the bottom half of each roll. Add cheese and return sandwich bottoms to oven, broiling until cheese is melted and bubbling.
- Transfer to plates and place tops on each sandwich. Serve immediately with a side of coleslaw or your favourite salad.