Protected: Lemon Meringue Pie
- 1 disc of pie dough
- For the filling:
- 1¼ cup of granulated sugar
- ¼ cup of cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 1¼ cup of water
- ¼ cup of whole milk
- 5 large egg yolks, room temperature
- ½ cup of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of lemon zest, grated
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- For the meringue:
- 5 large egg whites, room temperature
- ½ teaspoon of cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
- ¾ cup of superfine sugar
Takes , serves 8.
- Prepare pie shell:
- Prepare pie dough recipe and chill one disc of dough in the fridge overnight.
- Place pie dough onto a floured surface and roll into a round 12-inches in diameter. Transfer into a 9-inch pie plate. Crimp edges, then prick all over with a fork. Transfer prepared shell to refrigerator and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line pie shell with foil, fitting it tight against the shell. Add pie weights or 2 cups of dried beans or rice and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until shell is golden. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
- Prepare the filling:
- Whisk egg yolks together in a medium-sized bowl and set aside.
- Whisk sugar, cornstarch and salt together in a medium-sized saucepan. Pour in water and milk and stir until sugar is dissolved. Place pan on medium heat, whisking constantly until mixture begins to boil and the filling thickens.
- Remove pan from heat and gradually drizzle about a cup of the hot filling mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly. Place pan with remaining filling back on the stovetop, and whisk the yolk mixture back into the pan. Add the lemon juice and zest, reduce to a simmer, and cook stirring constantly for 3 minutes. Remove from heat, whisk in butter until well incorporated. Cover surface of filling with plastic wrap.
- Prepare the meringue:
- Beat egg whites, cream of tartar and salt on medium speed using a stand or hand mixer. When the whites start to hold soft peaks, increase speed to high and begin adding superfine sugar, one tablespoon at a time. Once all of the sugar has been added, continue mixing until meringue holds stiff, glossy peaks.
- Assemble pie:
- Pour hot lemon filling into baked pie shell. Carefully add dollops of meringue to surface and spread in a decorative manner, making sure the surface of the pie is covered to the edge. Tap the top of the pie lightly with a spatula to create soft peaks.
- Transfer to oven and bake until the meringue has an even golden-brown colour, approximately 15 minutes. Note: if using a convection oven setting, baking time will be less.
- Remove pie from oven and transfer onto a wire rack, allowing to cool for 3 hours before serving. Cut pie with a sharp knife dipped in cold water for smooth edges.